Words & Sinew

Semi-occasional reader & blogger who just really loves Rob Kazinsky. My playstation is basically my child.

If I Stay

If I Stay - Gayle Forman After reading this book, I'm not really sure how to feel. Now by that I mean this book is so filled with emotion, you're sort of a jumbled mess by the time you finish it. Going into it I wasn't sure. I had read mostly positive things about it but the summary was unsettling because I though I'd be reading the typical novel where perfect girl with perfect life gets into accident and then perfect is taken from her with a hell of a messed-up life. In a way, If I Stay is like that but it's still different. The relationship between Mia and Adam is real. It felt real, it was presented in a real way. It wasn't perfect. It had it's flaws. It didn't start off as wonderful, but instead it faltered and stuttered for a bit. I'm not one to believe that you can find your "soul mate" in high school, but for a few minutes Mia and Adam had me totally believing that. Not only that, they totally prove that you don't need sex for a relationship to work and that you can be attracted to someone for something other than their looks. It's beautiful.The part I felt the most was the last three pages. Man. I'm not one to cry reading books (yet I'm a mess when I watch Grey's Anatomy) but Adam broke me. I didn't sob or really cry, at the most I teared while at the verge of possibly slipping a tear, but to me that's still something. Adam is just everything and the speech/promise he gives Mia at the end is just... man. It's touching. Again, I'm not sure how to feel about this book. It was beautiful for sure and it had one of the most beautiful relationships I've read in YA, but there's still a certain realism it lacks. The characters just needed more flaws really but now that I think about it, maybe there was a point the characters had no flaws and that things were nearly perfect. Maybe the point is that if you suddenly had your perfect life taken away from you, would you make the choice to continue to live without it, or would it be too much for you to live without? Could you live with everything taken away from you? Would you stay without it? It's those sort of questions that make me think, "What am I living for?"This was a beautiful that you have to think about a bit to realize how profound it really is. The point isn't for it be painstakingly real. I think Gayle Forman made the near perfection of Mia's life so noticeable for a reason. I did really like this novel and as soon as I finished I wanted the sequel immediately.(For the full review, click here.)